Tuesday, August 30, 2011

USAPCC Photos - By My Brother

My brother has worked in the graphics/film industry his entire career, and has top-shelf hardware, software and the artistic eye to put it to good use. He's also an avid cyclist and a fan of pro racing, so when we rode Independence Pass last week to watch Stage 2 of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge, he brought the Canon 5D Mark II and took some pictures. Here are a few:

All images © John Montgomery.

Fans lining the ascent route, with La Plata Peak in back

Ivan Basso (center)

George Hincapie (right), the eventual
stage winner, watching and waiting

You can see the full gallery here.

The Hincapie photo was a great case of luck. After we got back down to town and found out Hincapie had won the stage, John looked through his pictures and at first was bummed because he didn't think he had one of George. Then he zoomed in on some and saw that look. Score! The sense of him being in the background but having that look of determination fit the backstory of the race perfectly.

6 comments:

  1. Really nice. I love the richness of the colors against the darker skies. The look in Hincapie's eyes is great - you can almost see the dorsal fin. Thanks for sharing. Man, I feel like such a hack. Fun to keep trying, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris - He makes me feel like a kid with camera from a cereal box :)

    I like the Hincapie photo too, and added a little blurb about it to the original post:

    "The Hincapie photo was a great case of luck. After we got back down to town and found out Hincapie had won the stage, John looked through his pictures and at first was bummed because he didn't think he had one of George. Then he zoomed in on some and saw that look. Score! The sense of him being in the background but having that look of determination fit the backstory of the race perfectly."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the familial eye for photos !!! Excellent shots here but I would pass on trail running with an SLR body strapped to my carcass....

    ReplyDelete
  4. HappyTrails - Better for biking than running for sure. Although he's also the one who turned me on to the Canon PowerShots. Still my "running camera" of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you seen the new Elph 510 HS - I have camera envy.... 12x optical zoom and only .86" thick. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. HappyTrails - That's pretty sweet, especially the big lens; I have not been as happy with the tiny lenses on the PowerShots as of late.

    My brother had an S90 (prior model to my S95, almost identical) which allowed me to test drive it. It is bulkier/heavier than the Elphs, by about 50%.

    Either way, I try to get some test images first, and buy from a place that doesn't charge for restocking, just in case.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.