Monday, October 17, 2011

Boulder 100 Pacing

I've never really had a hankering to run 100 miles.

Or to run all night by headlamp, even though I run in the dark sometimes. But if you know GZ or have interacted with him much online, you can probably understand why a bunch of people would gladly show up during his first 100 attempt to do just that.

So after my ride on Saturday, at about 6:15 PM I headed over to the Reservoir to check out how the race was going. I didn't recognize anyone at the start/finish area (not having met the family), so I rode along the course to see if I could find either Shad or GZ. Shad was running the 12-hour.

I ended up on-course until 12:40 AM. Ha!


Shad had finished a bit after 3 PM, so I missed him, but I caught up to George and Jeff Valliere (on bike) towards the back of the course:


George was doing great, not what I'd call... comfortable... but steady considering this was mile 55, already roughly a 10-mile PR.


He was probably not in a position to care, but it was a beautiful evening, with neon pink sunset clouds all around. Amazing.


After JV left, Wyatt and Lucho paced on foot while I rode along on my bike, Homie stopped by on course, then around 9 PM I changed to running shoes and started pacing on foot. I ran a bit shy of 2 laps or 13 miles. I called it a day at 12:40 AM with 3 laps to go, and JT, Brandon and Bob took him in for the finish.

Three generations of family rocked it too, hanging out the chilly air to cheer him on, TZ and JZ like the pit crew changing the tires and filling the tank.

Yeah, this course doesn't have Hope Pass, but the city lights behind the Reservoir, the night sky (nearly full moon), and the headlamps bobbing along in the dark were all pretty cool. It was a good time.


This is a good picture for last, because no matter how many people are around, it's still the racer that does the work and brings it in. Way to go, man.

7 comments:

  1. As is typical - these are wonderful shots. Thanks for sharing those.

    Thank you for being out there. I had no idea you were out there for that long. I just had no idea that it was that many hours. Damn. I owe you. Thank you.

    I ain't cracking these IPAs until we get to share 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GZ - Thanks. I was having a good time so no reason to stop :) Never have been good at sitting still in the cold anyway. When the core temp drops I can get mild Raynaud's (white/numb fingertips).

    So that's my new excuse... I run to stay warm ;)

    Those are breakfast beers, good with Count Chocula. Look forward to sharing a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics! Especially that last one with the fall leaves and mtn backdrop. Glad you had fun out there with GZ.

    Also, your Maroon Bells pictures have amplified my "summer is over depression" that hits this time of year. The pics were amazing, but I'm in denial that the snow is coming...or in the case of the Bells...is here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woody - Thanks. Good times. I'll miss the warmth and long days of summer, but honestly the snow on the Maroon Bells weekend totally made that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great thing to do! I would love to be a small part of someone's 100 - I bet GZ was so grateful and you helped the time pass quicker (relatively :)).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last photo is awesome! Now you gotta run a race so us amatures can snap a few photos of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill - The pacing was fun; the nearby venue provided a good way to get the feet wet without the committment and expense of travel, or the risks of being out in the middle of the wilderness all night. 60 miles also has a way of slowing a runner down to my modest speed :)

    Jaime - Thanks. Ha. I'm starting to sound like Sasquatch. I'll get out there for a couple of low-key trail races in the coming year I think. I'm planning on the Dirty 30 next year (not sure which distance).

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.