Saturday, April 14, 2012

White Ranch Outer Loop

On Friday, after a tough workday afternoon of bowling, pizza and beer (company party) I found I had time for a longer-than-usual run.

The White Ranch outer loop is more or less on par with an out-and-back on the Mesa Trail in Boulder in terms of distance, technical difficulty and vertical. This is a bit higher.


The main difference is you probably won't see nationally-ranked ultra runners at White Ranch. Boulder is thick with them.

Distance was 15.31 miles, time 3:56 (moving 3:08), elevation gain/loss 3,086 feet.


But first, bowling: to my amazement, I did OK. I was in a league for a year in high school but after that, I've probably gone 10 times in 30 years. I started with a 106, then (don't remember), 181 (tie for my high score), and 174. Got 4 strikes in a row in the last game, then two more in the last frame. I thought of my running, asking: "What do I know from running that I can apply here?" and the answer was: relaxed upper body, tall spine. And it worked, as long as I didn't lose focus or slip.

This is looking back down from Mustang Trail:


Mustang passes through what seems like a huge number of folds in the hills, and over a few ridges into the mountains. At the back you go up a narrow canyon with aspens in it, then climb to the top of Belcher Hill.

This is from a bit later on Rawhide, which follows an old road up/down/up/down over small hills on top:


This is from somewhere in the northwest part of the park:



The image below is coming down Longhorn, which is probably the steepest trail in the park (not necessarily this section, but in general). I have no idea how people bike this stuff, I'd rate it black diamond in ski terms; big rocks, drops, twisty with steep grades most of the way.


Around the spot in the photo below, I heard voices of bikers coming down the gnarly hill and picked up the pace a bit to stay ahead. They caught me just as the trail dropped into a steep V-shaped ravine, and they had to slow down. The next 3/4 was all uphill, and I gained ground. They caught me right near the parking lot, then I caught them again on the rock "garden" near the gate. Fun stuff.


This was about 13 miles and I had some light left, so I stowed the pack and ran back out. Unfortunately, about 20 horses had the same idea, and were queued up on the trail, totally blocking it. I ran back and forth a bit until I couldn't see and I clicked over 15 miles.


Although my pace was not blazing, I held energy levels pretty well on this run, which for me is a hard run. Legs felt good. Hand is a little sore from bowling.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great loop. Love the scenery, too. So close as well.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.