Monday, October 22, 2012

Reynolds Park

I overdid it a little on Saturday with the 20-miler, aggravating some muscle/ligament issues I acquired on a mountain bike ride a month ago. I really need to take it easy for a week or two, so I started on Saturday with a 2.5-hour mountain hike.

I'm not trying to be stupid, really, this is step down. We'll see how it goes.


Reynolds Park is one of the few remaining Jefferson County parks I had not visited, and is another that I drove by at night on my accident detour last month. I figured, why not? That's where I headed on a sunny Sunday.

Its trails are largely wooded, pine forest trails in the mountains, with a few open sections. There was limited natural water, but then again the park is not that big; my tour that included almost every trail was nearly 6 miles and took about 2:45 at a leisurely pace with plenty of photo stops. One bottle was enough.

The Eagle's View trail opens up onto expansive views of the Pike National Forest, a distant and hazy Pikes Peak, and numerous other lumpy summits.


This is about 1/3 of the panorama:


The terrain is similar to other trails at about 7,000-8,000 feet: pretty pines and the occasional aspen. Since it's near the Pike Forest, the rock is mostly pink granite and so is the sand on the trail.



This is a twisted dead pine trunk, which had opened up in the middle so you could see through it, an odd corkscrew of wood:




Hike distance was 5.77 miles, time 2:43 (moving 1:44), elevation gain/loss 1,182 feet, avg. pace 28:23 (moving 18:02), and best pace 9:32.

If you feel the need to get your heart rate up on some pleasant mountain trails, while passing by on US 285, this is a good option. If you are spooked by being alone, bring someone else, because I only saw three groups the whole time. It's kind of out there and secluded for a JeffCo park. It's also hiker-only.

3 comments:

  1. So much to see...so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, any idea on the name of that top lumpy peak? Looks attractive.
    I just bought a new mt. bike to replace my decade-old broken one -- let's go riding sometime! As for locations to the south of me, I've been interested in checking out the Indian Creek area.
    (But not this weekend -- BBMM in Boulder on Saturday, and RWB (fun-draiser) in Fort on Sunday if you're interested.
    Yes I ignored the first 2 sentences of your post, but do hope that taking it easy causes healing.

    Great pics as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike - Thanks, I'd enjoy a ride, I just need to heal first for a bit.

    Over a month ago I torqued some ligaments (front of hip) trying to keep balanced on one of those fun banked turns at Indian/Buffalo Creek, and now a month later I'm still feeling it. I thought it might heal while remaining active, but not so.

    Note to self: work on your core strength... because it sucks.

    The summit in the close-up is Long Scraggy Peak. In the next photo down, on the left is Cathedral Spires and the little tooth sticking up is Banner Peak.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.