Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Tuesday Evening Green Lakewood

I grabbed another short run on Tuesday, and it felt good to take it easy, doing a short loop up one of the many ridges to the top of Green Mountain in Lakewood, then back down. I took a ridge rather than one of the ravine social trails so I could see in the waning light, and it's a little less unnerving in the dark than running through dense thicket.

There was a lone biker at the top when I got there, who disappeared in a flash down the west Jeep road. They must have been flying.


It was a great sensation of being up here in the wind, nearly in the dark, but with light from the moon and setting sun. Everything looks so different, I just wanted to stand up there and enjoy the city lights. I did a very casual pace back down so as not to wreck myself on the rocks (see below).




Treachery:


Near the bottom, I spotted a shiny spot in the middle of the trail. I thought it was a raccoon at first, or a piece of reflective gear, and as I approached it hovered up into the air, a blur of pale beige, the glowing "eye" fixed on me, whirring away into the night like a helicopter. It was a bird, but it flew in an odd hummingbird-like way. Freaky.


Distance was 3.64 miles, time 1:13 (moving 47:53), elevation gain/loss 943 feet, avg. pace 20:16 (moving 13:10), and best pace 8:02.

2 comments:

  1. Those and the spiders this time of year will be coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick - Funny, as I approached I was thinking of this post but that would have been one whopping big spider.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.