Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wednesday Elk Meadow Laps

When I got out of work, the skies were gray from smoke from the Black Forest fire, and the scent was strong, as if someone had been burning leaves only a few blocks away. I sought out a less smoky venue for running, and headed west. It was OK, but I decided to go the extra 20 minutes up to Evergreen and run at Elk Meadow, above the smoke a little. Plus I hadn't been there in a while.

Skies were still hazy:


I have not been running up here much, and the elevation was a shock with cold muscles, and I struggled to get doing and get warmed up. It wasn't until 4 miles into it that I really got going.



Some of the locals:



On the second lap, however, I was acclimated again and ran it pretty hard. The 4.6 mile lap was 1:00 hour the first time, 0:51 minutes the second time. I was also racing the sunset to some extent, which helped.



Distance was 9.20 miles, time 1:51 (moving 1:36), elevation gain/loss 1,181 feet, avg. pace 12:15 (moving 10:28), and best pace 7:48.

I need to run up there more often.

2 comments:

  1. Wondering if I saw you. I ran the upper loop yesterday, finishing around 6-6:30 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim - According to the Garmin I started at 7 PM. I did loops on the lower part since I didn't have much time. Finished with enough light, but just barely!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.