Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday Deer Creek Run

I rarely run at Deer Creek on weekends, because it gets a lot of traffic, but the stagnant rain system hanging over the Front Range was likely to reduce traffic, so I gave it a try. I got pretty wet during the first part of this run. Soaked, to be exact.


My waterproof shell was wet as I trudged up the canyon...due to sweat, mainly. On the upside, there were some nice wild raspberries along the trail. Come to think of it, that may be why a mama bear and cub crossed the trail behind me near here one time. Yummy berries. Or, bear-ies.


For the first 45 minutes I was wet, but the sun poked its head out of the clouds after that and things gradually improved. By the end of the run skies were blue.



I have to say the Homestead Trail is utter bliss. Pine forest, rocks, grass on the forest floor, etc. Beautiful forest. Then, for the first time I took the Red Mesa Loop, which I had never run before. It's a couple of miles on the back of the park, but well worth it. Again, nice forest singletrack.

On the way down, I startled a couple of ptarmigans. The larger bird walked across the trail in front of me, then flew about 15 feet up into a pine tree.


The smaller bird retreated off-trail to my left. I could hear them talking to each other. I imagine this conversation went something like:
  • Hey, where are you?
  • I'm over here. Some dude stopped near me and I don't know what to do.
  • It's OK, just stay where you are, he'll go away.
  • Are you sure?
  • Yeah, he probably has a blog and wants to take photos of you.
  • OK, I'll stay here.
  • (pause)
  • You still OK?
Blogger moves on.



I ran pretty much every trail in the park and ended up with about 12.5 miles. So, I filled my bottle again, stowed some gear, and headed uphill again for some more miles. I was pushing for at least 15. I did a loop up the "hiker only" trail and then down the canyon. I was somewhat energized, and made good progress uphill.

In spite of the clueless earbud chick with two dogs blocking the trail for me and another runner :\ I really despise ignorant people.

I made good time and somehow notched a 7th-fastest time on this loop. Strava certainly does not include every runner of merit, but I'll take it.


Distance was 15.43 miles, time 4:00 (moving 3:05), elevation gain/loss 2,745 feet, avg. pace 15:35 (moving 12:02), and best pace 7:30.

I need to do another post on drivers who tailgate, then pass their victim, then turn right in front of the person they were tailgating a minute ago and cause them to nearly stop while the moron makes a turn. I observed this on my way home. No punishment is too extreme for such morons. My response is to lean on my horn in protest, and some day I may get shot for it.

But that's for another day. Today was simply a good day on the trails.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I ran Heil valley to Lyons on Sunday and it was amazing how wet it was. Reminded on the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those open meadows on the upper reaches of Deer Creek...like hidden forest gems. I really like running at DC. Aside from the grunt up through the canyon, everything is easy-grade and quick. We are so lucky to have access to such great public land. And, by the way, LOL on the ptarmigan conversation!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.