Thursday, July 4, 2013

Wednesday Ralston Creek

A short run before a late happy hour at the new Mountain Toad Brewing in Golden, CO. Excellent beer. I can't believe there are now three really good microbreweries in Golden, CO, the home of the gigantic Coors brewery.

There's still flooding on Ralston Creek:


Running-wise, it seems like I'm close to done with the plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis after two weeks. No hill running, calf rolling on foam, stretching, running at a really easy pace. Last time I had heel issues I ran in minimalist shoes, but the prescription seems to be the same: run easy and keep loose.

Distance was 6.59 miles, time 1:14 (moving 1:09), elevation gain/loss 169 feet, avg. pace 11:17 (moving 10:36), and best pace 8:08.

The Barn Swallow that has been visiting the apartment every spring for the last five years brought a mate along the last two years. While I welcomed the bird at first while solo, the prospect of a nest and the related mess didn't seem like a good idea, so I tried to discourage it (starting last year). But after repeated attempts this season, I relented on the premise that this bird trusted me (or at least thought I was not a threat), and if I had a problem I should have repelled it five years ago, not now after it's trying to start a family. Apartment management can decide what to do if they so choose. So, I have three chicks in a nest on the landing outside (one chick's beak is visible):

2 comments:

  1. I hope those babies don't chirp your ear off at 4am every morning like the ones in my spruce tree outside my bedroom window - so annoying (I wear ear plugs the past couple weeks).

    Glad to hear the foot pain is subsiding. I dealt with that for a solid 2 years...wasn't until I changed shoes to a minimalist and changed my foot strike to a mid-foot plant, did it finally go away (oh, and strengthened my abductors on that side). There's a great article on PF and AT on sock-doc.com. It's definitely painful.

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - Thanks, you too. Darn birds. Ear plugs are a way of life for me, just sleep better.

    The PF is minor and is my fault for not keeping the legs loose while ramping up volume. If I relax the muscles that pull on the affected area, it just goes away.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.