Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday Bear Creek Lake/Mt Falcon Run

This was an archetypal bad weather run. And it was great.

I knew the forecast was for rain and snow, but armed with the right gear, I didn't care. In fact, I've had some of my most memorable runs in bad conditions.

Temp was 45, gear was shorts, T-shirt, long sleeves, arm warmers and I brought this North Face jacket for when it started raining/snowing. Assorted gear for the hands and head. Oh, and an eVent cap so my head would be dry. It gets a little clammy inside, but it's better than soaked, cold fabric.

Skies above Bear Creek canyon when I started uphill. Snow incoming!


By the time I got near the shelter, I think the snow had already started. When I turned back from the upper parking lot, it was turning to graupel.



On top, it was darn near a blizzard, with wind and snow stinging my face. It was a struggle to keep the hands warm up on the lookout tower.



It was time for a hasty retreat to lower elevations. But I was whooping it up and having a blast.

I felt kind of funny in my shorts, with hikers in full-on winter gear, but running generates the core heat to keep things bearable. Only my face and hands felt uncomfortable on top.


However, once I got down below the wind, the falling snow was nothing but beautiful.




Passed this mule deer harem on the way down and watched them for a short while. The amorous buck kept annoying his ladies, and they'd run away, preferring to have some dinner. Pretty amusing.


Red Rocks from Mount Falcon park:


Back down in town, it was also snowing, but there was no wind and temperatures were more mild.

Distance was 15.27 miles, time 3:42 (moving 3:00), elevation gain/loss 2,625 feet, avg. pace 14:35 (moving 11:49), and best pace 7:15.

The North Face jacket was darn near perfect: the venting on the back, sides and under the arms kept the insides totally dry. Impressed.

2 comments:

  1. Hello bipolar Colorado weather!
    Glad you bought that jacket - sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to find gear that works. And while one hundred perfect bluebird sky runs may blend together and become one, a bad weather run sometimes provides an outing you'll remember.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.