Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday Three Sisters Run

As usual I messed up a weekend run and lost track of time, frittering away the morning/afternoon at home on a nerdy project to test JavaScript "undefined" logic for work. Yeah, great use of time.

I drove up to Three Sisters in Evergreen to get a little more altitude (7,300 - 7,700 feet) before I realized I only had an hour before dark :\ First off I ran over to the rocks at the upper lot and jogged up past some dudes fooling around on Crash Pads bouldering and scrambled to the top. If someone can tell me how to climb this outcropping from the west let me know. I can't figure out how to haul myself over a certain rock ledge near the top. It's the same situation I faced on Kit Carson Peak: no foot holds and I can't figure out how to pull myself up over the shelf of rock.


Conditions were spring-like. Soft snow and slush, with poor footing. But it was fun running through the woods instead of suburban paths for a change.


Rocks at the Three Sisters.


Choices. I've climbed in this area but opted to run today instead.


Coming downhill on the home stretch, with a couple of miles to go, with the Three Sisters rocks on the left, and the hills of Evergreen in the distance.


On top of The Brothers was this tiny pine tree clinging on for dear life in a crevice in the rock. It was all of 6 inches high. I feel like I should bring it some topsoil next time I'm up here:


Looking westward towards the Mount Evans Massif (barely visible in the back/center):


Back when I worked from home full time, I used to come up here all the time. In the interim, I had forgotten the finer points of the the trails in this park, and got a few turns wrong. While that is a bit of a bummer, this park also requires a somewhat long, crawling drive along roads at ridiculously slow speeds, usually tailgated by those who don't want to obey the speed limit, and I don't miss that. It's a great park, but it's a bit of a pain to get to. But occasionally it's worth the extra time.

Distance was 6.33 miles, time 1:42 (moving 1:17), elevation gain/loss 1,028 feet, avg. pace 16:11 (moving 12:14), and best pace 7:20.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! And your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NMS - Glad you're enjoying them. Some parks also make blogging easy.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.