Monday, September 1, 2014

Monday Golden Gate Canyon State Park Run

It was Labor Day, so I "labored" over hill and dale in the Front Range foothills, to the tune of 3,000 feet of vertical. This was my first significant run since Salida, when I injured my left calf somehow, as it hurt for two weeks afterwards. I think it just got tight from four days of mountain running, and then got strained.

Muscles. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

So, a trail called "Horseshoe" doesn't allow horses? Since I was running over horse poo all day on other trails, and regard it as one of the local charms of CO :), I'm not sure why it is a problem on this trail.



This is a picture along the service road between the middle meadows and Gap Road. I could have sworn that this was Mule Deer trail, but I got to the end and found myself on the wrong end of a "Trail Closed" sign. What? I stopped by the Visitor Center later and found out they had re-routed the trail this year.


From near Panorama Point:


To the left of center, the high points of South and North Arapaho, where I had some fun recently:


Summer! Enjoy it,because it will be gone soon.


Near Bootleg Bottom:


The hard climb on Coyote trail over the ridge:


Descending on Black Bear trail:


My calf was bothering me from time to time, particularly on downhills like Black Bear, but I just walked until it calmed down. I think it was part tightness, part stress.


Fall is coming soon:


Distance was 15.58 miles, time 4:49 (moving 4:22), elevation gain/loss 3,105 feet, avg. pace 18:35 (moving 16:49), and best pace 6:54.

Whether this "easy" run was a bad idea or not will be decided tomorrow, based on whether I can walk on my recently-injured calf. I think it will be OK.

3 comments:

  1. We got to hook up for some GG together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me, you got the family schedule, drop me a line. Thinking about the 50k again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Within the realm of possibility.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments civil and refrain from personal attacks, which will not be tolerated. Thanks!

Spam will be deleted. Don't even try.